Wednesday, 29 February 2012

Patterning My Black Widow Coat

Today I have been starting to pattern my Black Widow Coat toile.

To start off with I had to create a Classic Coat block and a Coat Sleeve block.

 I experienced quite a few problems when creating these.

The first problem I can across was with the classic coat blocks, I used a few wrong measurements but luckily I was able to correct these before they caused a major problem.

The other problem that I had was when creating the Coat Sleeve block, The problem I had here was that I found it hard to understand the instructions for making this block but eventually I got my head around what it was asking me to do and I was able to finish it.

Next I started to pattern my coat design.

I didn't experience any problems when creating these and was able to create these basic patterns quite quickly.

Sunday, 26 February 2012

My Chosen Designs

After finishing my 50 designs and tweeking them a few times until they were exactly how I wanted them I have chosen my final collection.

Here it is....

The Funnelweb Skirt and Vest.

The Huntsman Dress

The Black Widow Coat.

 The Orb Weaver Shirt and Shorts

I have named them after different types of spider as this was my main influence.

What do you think?

Thursday, 23 February 2012

My First Design

Now that my storyboard is done I can start to design.  The first thing that I have done is to create a design board for my first design.  It shows the technical elements that will make up the garment.

Next I will develop this design and design my other outfits.

My Storyboard

After finishing my embroidery piece I was ready to put my storyboard together.

For those of you who dont know a storyboard shows your concept for your collection, it shows samples, shapes, images and sometimes fabrics that will help to convey your ideas to others.

Here is my story board.

Sunday, 19 February 2012

Embroidered Dragonfly

Whilst creating my storyboard I decided to create an embroidery piece of an image that I found inspiring during my research.

Here is the process I went through whilst building up the embroidery piece.

I drew the image on to my fabric.

Then I added the wing detail.

Then I did the black in the body.

Then I added the blue.

Next I did the brown.

Then the gold.

Next I added the yellow.

And finally the white detail in the body and the wings.
 What do you think?

Tuesday, 7 February 2012

Continuing with my Research

I have previously told you about my research into butterflies for my FMP, well instead of just restraining myself to the one topic I ave decided to see where my research can take me.  Somehow I have continued my research into spiderwebs and to my surprise when I opened the blinds this morning a beautiful frost covered spiderweb was there so I decided to take some pictures of this and the line of them that had been formed on my fence.

 After photographing the spiderwebs I noticed a few branches that were covered in frost too and I really liked the effect.

Saturday, 4 February 2012

Busy, Busy, Busy

Firstly I would like to apologize for my lack of blogging recently as I have been very busy sorting my portfolio ready for university interviews and I haven't had much spare time.  I just though that I would share with you my recent news.  I have been offered a place at the University of Huddersfield (which is the uni that I want to attend) so things are now starting to feel more real.