Today I have been continuing with my Huntsman Dress Toile. The next step in this toile was creating and inserting the side pieces.
First I cut out the smallest of the 3 panels that I had already patterned for and constructed it.
So after looking at images of structures such as the 'Sydney Opera House' and umbrellas I created a new pattern built up of triangular shapes.
I then constructed the new insert.
I inserted it into the curved panels of the side of the dress.
I cut down the seam allowance of the insert so that it was smoother on the wearer.
I then folded the seam allowance to the inside panel and top stitched to secure it.
Because of the shape of insert I could only top stitch so far so this method wasn't possible.
I think that the insert has worked well but I am not pleased with the effect that it has with the rest of the garment so this in part of my design that I will need to adapt.
I then tried the same method but with chiffon to see if it has a better effect.
This method worked even worse than the first method and I really not pleased with the effect that these side panels are having so I have decided that I wont include any thing on the side and just have the seam lines as a feature.
Next I needed to mark the new armhole as the original is too big and tomorrow I will mark the new line on my pattern and start to look at decoration that I might be able to include on the garment.