Thursday 8 December 2011

Comparing Pattern Cutting Methods

Flat Patterning VS Modelling on the Stand

Over the course of my time at college I have learnt various methods of pattern cutting but for this post I am going to compare flat patterning and modelling on the stand.

Flat patterning is what I believe to be the basic and most common method of pattern cutting.  I find that this method is the best method if you are creating a structured or simple garment.  I have enjoyed learning this method and have found it helped me to understand the construction of garments before moving onto the alternative methods.

Modelling on the stand is what I believe to be the best way to create more flowing and less structured garments as you are able to create the effect that you want before creating your patterns.  This method is also useful when creating a fitted garment and it can make it easier to get a fully fitted, smooth silhouette.  I have also enjoyed this method as I felt that it helped me to visualize my ideas before creating my patterns.

Personally I don't have a preference between these two methods but I feel more comfortable with flat patterning as this is the one I have the most experience with.  I would consider both methods when creating my garments and would choose the one most suited to the garment I am creating.

No comments:

Post a Comment