Wednesday 21 March 2012

Black Widow Coat Toile - The Difficult Part

Today I have been continuing with my coat toile.  Today has been a bit of a struggle but now that I have done it once it should be easier for my final garment.

The first thing that I did was to pattern the panels for my top collar piece.
 I used 1cm seam allowance for these to make it easier.
 I sewed together the panels to create 2 horizontal panels.
 I then attached the 2 panels together.
 I added the collar stand.

 I then realized that because I only added 1cm seam allowance it was slightly smaller than the underneath side of the collar, I marked this on the larger piece as a guide for when I am joining the 2 together.

Some of the seam lines didn't match which is something that I will need to watch out for when creating my final garment.

I then did the top stitching.

 Another problem that I came across was that I accidentally cut half of my piece out on the wrong side of the  fabric, this is something that I will have to watch out for when creating my final garment.

I inserted the lining at the sleeves, I didn't have any problems with this.  I really like the effect and finish that it has created.



Another thing that I will have to watch out for when creating my final garment is that the seams match from the lining through to the facing.


I then sewed up the bottom edge, this has also given a nice finish to the garment.


I inserted the underneath side of the collar to the back of the coat.  I am pleased that the collar finally fits and  I can't wait to see the garment finished.



No comments:

Post a Comment