In my previous posts I have been showing you my process throughout making my toile. Finally we have arrived at the final stages. As you may have read in my previous post I have just finished my pin-tucks, now the next step was to attach the side piece. So this is the first thing that I did today.
For my first attempt I tried to create the side piece with Calico, this didn't work as the fabric was too heavy and wouldn't drape and hold like it wanted it to. So I attempted to create the side piece with a lighter fabric and thankfully this worked. Below you can see the effect that I have created with my side piece and the drama and structure that it adds to my dress.
When creating this side piece on my final garment I will cut the bottom. I am doing this on the final garment and not the toile as I don't know how tall my model will be and I want these pieces to touch the floor.
The next step was to create my collar piece. I slightly changed this from my sampling as I wanted to make a feature of the way the it held around the waist. To do this I moved the bias binding strip down 2 inches so that there would be part of the collar above where it ties. This is what I created.
This is my final piece put together. Of course on my final dress the pin-tucks and the side pieces will be on both sides of the dress.