Tuesday 24 May 2011

Starting to make my Main Dress

Now that my collar piece is finished and I have received the fabric that I ordered from London I can start to manufacture my dress.  The first thing that I needed to do was to was cut out the patterns for the pin-tucks in the fabric that I have received from London.

When trying to fit my patterns onto the fabric the biggest pattern wouldn't fit.
To solve this problem I had to cut the biggest pattern in half and add seam allowance to the two new edges.
 Now that I had been able to fit the pin-tuck patterns on the fabric, I could concentrate on sewing together the panels that will be behind the pin-tucks.  I can used a closed seam on this part as there is no way that I will be able to alter this seam if the dress doesn't fit.

 After sewing the two base panels together I could begin to think about the pin-tucks.  The first thing that I had to do was sew the three parts of the pin-tuck panel together to create a continuous strip.  When this was done I started to insert the fabric using the fold-lines on the pattern.
 On problem that I have come across when inserting the pin-tucks is that the fabric goes off to one side and starts to show the fabric underneath, to solve this problem I tried to manipulate the pleats to make the fabric travel back the other way but when sewing it moved back across creating the gap where the base fabric is showing.

To solve this problem I am going to trying sewing them in by putting the fabric through the machine the opposite way.

No comments:

Post a Comment